Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Skype Security

In recent months I have begun to turn to Skype more and more in my daily communications. Whenever I want to call home or talk to a friend abroad I turn to this VoIP system. In addition to using the Skype for computer to computer conversation, I also purchase small amounts of Skype dollars regularly to call landline and cellular phones from my computer so that I can check my email or work on an outline while I am on hold with a bank or something along those lines. My increasing usage of Skype leads me to question its security.

According to Skype.com, Skype uses encryption (256 bit), as well as digital certificates to protect customers’ Skype identities. The digital certificates prevent third parties from impersonating Skype users. These digital certificates supplement a customer’s Skype user name and password. In addition to keeping customers’ Skype identities safe, Skype also operates so that users’ computers are not made vulnerable to security threats by leaving the firewalls on a user’s network untouched. Skype also prevents adware, spyware, and malware from being installed on their customers’ computers.

While all of these measures that Skype takes to prevent creating vulnerabilities in their system, other sources claim that there are ways to hack into conversations and identities through Skype. For example, while it is not possible in all known circumstances to monitor an actual Skype conversation as a third party, it is possible to view call initiation as a third party on the Skype network. Also, Skype has a default “History” file that it saves on users’ computers that keeps a record of all of the conversations that that user has participated in. A hacker could easily find and compromise this file by using spyware to hack into a user’s computer.

Skype has responded to some, but not all, of these vulnerabilities with security patches and a security blog that warns users about scams, and attacks. It is for the individual user to decide whether or not the efforts that Skype takes to secure his or her information and privacy is thorough enough to convince him or her to continue using Skype.

Sources:
www.skype.com/security
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_security

3 comments:

  1. I also regularly use Skype and until now I had not considered the importance of keeping the application secure. One thing that also should be kept in mind is the way that Skype dollars work. In order to deposit money into Skype and be able to call landline and cellular phones, users must do so with a credit card. If a hacker breaks into the Skype system they will be able to access your credit card information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently, I am not a user of Skype. But, as many of my friends will be going abroad during the upcoming semester, I will most likely sign up to use Skype in order to keep in touch with these people. That being the case, this a pretty interesting post. While I am pretty sure the conversations I will be having with my friends will not be terribly interesting to any outsiders, and certainly just knowing the names of the individuals I am talking to would not be of much use to anyone, I imagine that these two vulnerabilities would be of particular concern for someone who uses Skype for business purposes. Furthermore, there is a lot to be said for an individual’s privacy, something there seems to be less and less of in our society. With Skype undoubtedly hosting very private and sensitive conversations, it is important that the company take the necessary measures to provide complete security.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really intrigued me. I use Skype regularly as well, especially to keep in contact with friends and family studying or living abroad. The only security issue i have ever pondered while using this software has been the history file mentioned in the original post. I have always been cautious as to what I say on Skype due to this history feature. So in accord, I tend to delete my recent history from time to time. However, I wonder does this even do anything? Are my conversations on Skype vulnerable?

    ReplyDelete