Saturday, December 19, 2009

Security Review: Motorola Droid.

Droid does. That is the slogan marking the release of the Motorola Droid, which utilizes the Verizon 3G network and Google's Android 2.0 software. With a rich web experience, sharp photos, Google search with voice and so on, the question a person might actually have is what doesn't the Droid do? One sad but realistic answer - security.

The Droid is a smart phone created for basically one purpose, to compete with Apple's iPhone. To describe it is to describe the latter device. It is a phone, but users will primarily utilize its 3G network to access the internet, download applications, use GPS, and so on.

As a user, I would want the device to be physically safe: this means password protection when the phone is not in use, to keep others from viewing personal information, such as contacts, calendars, notes, etc. Basically keeping my information confidential. Apart from this, I want a safe 3G experience, where I can access the internet, my e-mail, and so on, without fearing that my phone could be hacked or infected with a virus.
To analyze what an attacker might want to exploit in the Droid, one can simply reverse the security goals I mentioned above. Attackers would likely seek to view my personal information, infect my system, start phishing or similar schemes within my e-mail, or similar malicious acts.

As a new device which accessing the internet, it is obviously vulnerable to the multitude of threats inherent in using the internet. The fact that business people will likely want to use the phone for business e-mail and other purposes is one reason it needs to be secure. However, Droid has not taken these concerns to heart. Basic password provisions are limited, lacking strength requirements and lock-out after a specific number of failed entry attempts, seemingly obvious implementations. In addition to this, it lacks management capabilities. Droid also lacks on-device encryption and fails to meet standards for Exchange, preventing connection to company e-mail for most businesses.

As the use of smart phones and 3G networks increases, the entry of hackers and others with malicious intent is increasing, so one must be careful to ensure that their device is ready for the attack. After researching, I would say the Motorola Droid has a ways to go, especially for business users, who I would advise to stick with Blackberries. It is clear that newer versions of the Droid should have bigger priorities than difficulty with the manual keyboard or weight issues.

Source:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/182822-1/can_droid_phones_take_care_of_business.html
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/324707/review/droid.html

1 comment:

  1. Interesting posts you have here ... I can see that you put a lot of hard work on your blog. I'd visit you more often.
    George
    from Romania
    my blog: cellular phone

    ReplyDelete