Friday, December 18, 2009

Blackberry E-mail Outage

According to Research in Motion Ltd., a company that manufactures Blackberry devices, Blackberry users experienced a delay in receiving emails on Wednesday, December 16. The amount of time in which e-mails were delayed is not known for sure yet, but Blackberry users are not happy about the situation, myself included. According to the previous blog post titled “Sprint Text Messaging Outage”, Sprint also had a problem with text message failure and delays. Considering I am a Sprint customer who owns a Blackberry handheld device, both of these outages upset and worry me.
This is upsetting because Blackberrys are expensive devices that claim to provide a reliable and instant way to receive text, picture, voice, and e-mail messages from a variety of social networks. Also, in order to have a Blackberry device, a Sprint user must sign a specific contract including data, which also costs a great deal more per month. I am willing to pay a substantial amount of money for these services because they are convenient and beneficial while being in college; however, I am only willing to pay for services that work. Within one night, I was denied text messaging and e-mail due to two different company failures.
Although one night without texting and email might not seem like a problem, it occurred during finals week. Throughout the time that I did not receive e-mails or texts, I missed a variety of important e-mails and text messages. Unfortunately, technological problems like this occur on numerous devices; however, I hold Sprint and Blackberry to a high standard due to the amount of time and money I have invested in them. I, as well as others who experienced the same problem, rely on Sprint and Blackberry to provide extraordinary services.
These problems worry me because Sprint does not seem to know the problem and Blackberry claims their problem has been fixed. No further information has been released to the public, which makes me wonder whether something more serious occurred in both cases. In class, we frequently discussed what we would do in a situation similar to this. As the owner of the company, I would want to figure out the problem and then inform customers; however, being the customer in this situation changes my perspective. If there is a vulnerability in my network or device, I would like to know about it. That way, I would begin taking the proper steps to secure my mobile device.

Source: http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/v-print/story/1102455.html

1 comment:

  1. These two companies definitely need to make a statement of some sort if they want to safeguard their reputations. Blackberry's key competitive advantage keeping it afloat against the iPhone is its claim on mobile e-mail with standards, making it the top choice of business people. If it were in anyway to jeopardize this, other smart phone's would find a hole through which they could easily slide past Blackberry.

    Another thought this situation brings to mind is that all systems are vulnerable and can fail, even the most trusted ones. Nothing is guaranteed. This is why it is essential to have plans and back-ups in place when crises strike.

    ReplyDelete