Thursday, December 10, 2009

Android Technology: Security Review

Android is the operating system created by Google in 2005 to be used for its new wave of Google smart phones. One of its biggest contrasts to the other systems being used by popular names such as Iphone and BlackBerry is that it allows technology developers to freely create applications that can become available on the Android Market.
The benefits of this are that it fosters creativity and gives users a platform for exposure and profit. However it also poses many threats because there is the possibility of downloading corrupted files and damaging your phone because of viruses or malfunctions that could be passed on from the developers computer and/or phone.

Therefore, Android must take increased precautions and security procedures in order to protect their users. Otherwise, Google is leaving phone owners exposed to security threats through mobile web just as a regular computer. The more our phones become like desktops and laptops, the greater enhancements are needed to insure security. Therefore, Google has looked to inter net security in order to devise ways to protect their operating system. Android is currently taking steps to reduce the possibility of attacks such as implementing software that blocks one android application user from another. It also blocks an application from accessing other programs on the phone such as pictures and media software.

Android is a new technology and Google seems to be very conscience of their responsibility in protecting users. However as in many security issues, potential victims must also be accountable when using the technology. I personally have Android and Android Market on my Google HTC Hero and I enjoy looking through the Apps for games and other programs. But I am very cautious when downloading/installing. I look at the reviews and make sure that there are no glitches which could effect my phone. I also searched for an antivirus program which was recommended by my phone carrier. I use this program to scan my phone about once a week to be sure that no malicious software (malware) or viruses. I am also cautious when browsing my mobile web just as if I am using my laptop because I know that many of the same risks apply.

It is almost impossible to have a perfectly secure operating system, especially one that also allows the free and convenient communication that its users that have come to expect in our technology driven era. The responsibly lies with Android, the phone carrier, and also the phone users to make sure that their their mobile devices remain as safe and secure as possible.


References:

1 comment:

  1. Droid technology is extremely interesting, and it seems to have the potential to overtake other smartphones (even iPhone) as the industry standard and leader in market share. I agree, however, that the features of this technology (such as the free creation of applications) that make it so exciting and useful are also the same features that make it so risky and potentially disastrous from an information security standpoint. Nonetheless, I think the security measures taken by the Android developers will be able to keep up with and even outpace the breach attempts of the blackhat application developers.

    ReplyDelete