Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ford to Introduce MyKey

This is indirectly related to Information Security, mostly the confidentiality aspect of the triad. GPS that allows parents to track the whereabouts of their teenage drivers isn't enough to reassure some parents, so Ford has developed a product called MyKey. It allows parents to have more control over teenage drivers with the following features:
  • maximum speed of 80mph
  • maximum audio of 44% of the volume
  • audio system won't work when seat belts are not buckled
  • warning when the gas tank gets to 75 miles remaining
  • cannot floor the accelerator over 45mph
  • warning sounds when speed hits 45mph, 55mph, & 65mph (optional)
Starting in 2010, MyKey will be a free standard feature on several Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models. The product has been met with mixed feelings. Teenagers reject the idea of being watched over by so closely by their parents and argue that with such tight restrictions they won't learn to be good drivers. Parents, on the other hand are attracted by the safety reinforcements that MyKey provides. Many are willing to let their children drive more often with these added safety features. Some insurance companies are also offering discounts for teenagers driving cars with MyKey.

However, if there was an emergency and a teenager needed to get to the hospital or something quickly, they wouldn't be able to go above 80mph. Related to this, a teenage driver could be driving 80mph and need to speed up in order to avoid an accident, but they wouldn't be able to.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-u0NJvY16BTLrFTI38fWkVU6Vnw

6 comments:

  1. That seems a bit restrictive to me...but then again I like to listen to loud music in my car.

    A lot of cell phone companies have been introducing similar plans and products with GPS phones that can be monitored by parents or guardians. An interesting one I found was the Sprint Nextel version which requires the parent/guardian to REQUEST the GPS location of their child's phone, at which point the child is notified via text that their GPS location has been requested.

    Although the Sprint/Nextel Corp. says this function is to ensure "open communication" I can't help but think it will create some extraneous family issues as well...

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/04/13/77422_HNsprintkidsgps_1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that these tracking methods weren't around when I was younger...

    Personally, I see nothing wrong with parents knowing where there kids are. We all remember the ad: "It's ten o'clock, do you know where your kids are!?" I think that trust is very important, but at the same time, kids are beginning to party at younger ages and cars are being developed with more and more distractions - TVs, DVD players, video game capabilities (I can only imagine how distracted a 16-17 year old driver would be if his friends were playing Halo in the backseat), so it seems only fair that these new safety measure are being implemented.

    I agree that some methods are out of hand, like the Brickhouse Locator for example - "The locator allows you to place tiny homing tags on the person or device that you wish to keep track of. This device utilizes RFID technology in order to guide you to the location of whatever is tagged. With an unobstructed signal, the manufacturer claims that the device is effective up to 600 feet away."*

    I would argue that planting this James Bondesque device on your kid may be going too far - but imagine if he/she got lost on the highway...or abducted. You would always be ready to send help.

    From my perspective, this is a great (and potentially life saving) use of technology - but can easily see how it may result in paranoia.








    *http://kidsgpsguide.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the idea behind this is a good concept, but I think it is too limiting to the kids. I don't think the car should have a floor acceleration limit, because sometimes when trying to change lanes ont he highway (especially two lane country highways) this could actually cause accidents instead of prevent them. Just by limiting the speed on a car isn't going to make your kid a safe driver, instead the government or car companies, or insurance companies should demand the kid go through an extensive driving education course like MaterDrive, because I think the results of that would be way more efficient/effective than any limit on what the physical car can do. I like the article though, it was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this is both a good and bad idea. The one good is the speed restriction. I can't imagine a situation that a young driver would ever be in that he or she would need to go over 80. The only times I personally went over 80 where when I was on the highway trying to break 100 like an idiot so I do like the speed restriction. The acceleration restriction is however bad because there are definetly times where fast acceleration is needed. Everything else is ridiculous. The idea that parents can track their kids anywhere they are manufactures a trust issue between kids and their parents and is a gateway to more issues. Everything else besides the seatbelt function is frivolous. Im sure just as many accidents occur with no music as opposed to loud music and i feel that a warning for certain speeds would be more distracting than any music could be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a good idea in theory, but I do not agree with the idea. I feel that instead of spending all of this brain power and time coming up with this idea, I feel that all of that time could be used to create a better way to teach teenagers how to drive safely. I just feel that there are to many situations when a driver may have to exceed that limitations that the MyKey system creates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this does seem weird a little. But it does in a way make since. Maybe there will be less speeding and accidents if be dont have the option to go that fast. However I myself like to listen to the music in the car real loud. Ride by a few people especially when I'm in a rush. i think this may be too extreme to take us fromt the freedom to drive how we want to limiting the speed of a car.

    ReplyDelete