Friday, September 18, 2009

A Victim of Information Insecurity

It's interesting how sometimes things in life make a lot more sense once you learn about them. And, when they make more sense, you think about them differently.

Take this example from me:
We've been talking about information security since the class started. One of the topics that we've talked about and discussed is letting people know if their information has been compromised. I recently got a letter from the Notre Dame Federal Credit Union telling me that in fact my information HAS been compromised. That information might have included my debit card number. Now, before learning about this, I would have been like "Hmm that's weird. I don't really know how seriously I need to look into this. They give me the option of canceling my current card until they send me a new one. Should I do that?" Now, my thought process has been much different. "I wonder what happened that caused them to compromise my information. Did someone misplace a laptop? Did a computer get infected with a virus? I wonder how many different people had their information compromised. How many people are they automatically sending out new cards to? It says that they were notified that my information may have been compromised... does that mean that it was compromised by some other company? Maybe somebody I purchased from? It must have been somewhat serious for theme to already be sending me a new card." Along with giving me the number to call in case I decide to cancel it, they also inform me about VISA's Zero Liability policy, which is nice to know. Overall, I'm just glad they let me know. I'm appreciative of their responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. I read that data compromise with NDFCU originated from thieves accessing information from Heartland Payment Systems (see http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/38208234.html ) NDFCU never even had control over their Heartland's security, but nevertheless were affected.

    Since then, NDFCU has been focused even more on info security. Before leaving for home last summer, I visited to change my mailing address. They asked me where I would be this summer, how long I would be gone, ect. At first I was apprehensive to disclose that type of information, but actually they were keeping notes in order to look out for suspicious activities. I praise them for their efforts and would advise all of you make sure the banks and services you rely on every day have the same focus on info security as you do.

    ReplyDelete